The mission and activities of the Program are highly dependent on the hundreds of volunteers who donate thousands of hours throughout the year. A variety of opportunities exist for volunteers, and many skills are needed to accomplish the wide spectrum of tasks required to complete the mission of the Program.
This brochure provides a further look at what it's like to volunteer with our program.
Most of the needed volunteer hours are divided between activities at the warehouse, in Park City, on food runs, or at the rug show.
Following is a list of activities available for current and new volunteers:
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT OUR SALT LAKE WAREHOUSE (328 West Gregson Avenue)
Regular volunteer days are held at the warehouse on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. as well as occasional Saturdays. Activities include such things as packing food boxes, filling backpacks for school children, creating Christmas stockings, packing Grandma and Grandpa boxes, and many more things. Although activities are always taking place on the designated days there may be days where particular activities and needs occur.
The warehouse is centrally located just off I15 in the Salt Lake Valley. See the Map for details. It is also just a ten minute walk from the Millcreek (33rd South) TRAX station.
- Friday November 24 Closed for Thanksgiving.
- Tuesday November 28 Regular volunteer activities.
- Friday December 1 Regular volunteer activities.
- Tuesday December 5 We will prepare our new newsletter for mailing today.
- Friday December 8 Regular volunteer activities.
- Tuesday December 12 Regular volunteer activities.
- Friday December 15 Annual Volunteer Christmas Party 11:30-1:30. Please bring a dish to share.
- Tuesday December 19 No volunteer activities today. Our warehouse will be closed for the holidays.
- Friday December 22 No volunteer activities today. Our warehouse will be closed for the holidays.
- Tuesday December 26 No volunteer activities today. Our warehouse will be closed for the holidays.
- Friday December 29 No volunteer activities today. Our warehouse will be closed for the holidays.
- Tuesday January 2. Regular volunteer activities will resume today with newsletter preparation.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN PARK CITY:
Volunteers are needed to help with administrative and operating tasks in Park City on an intermittent basis. Please call Linda at 435-649-0535 for more details.
One of the principal purposes of the Program is to provide food, clothing and supplies to Elders on the reservation. This is carried out primarily through the Semi-annual Food Runs held in the spring and fall.
The fall food runs have been successfully completed. We hope you will join us for a food run in the spring. Those dates will be published as soon as they are available.
For a brief glimpse of what a food run is like, you can view a slide show of pictures from a food run to Many Farms.
To read about two volunteers' experiences at their first food run click here and here.
Also, to help orient prospective food run volunteers, here is a short four-paged brochure about our food runs.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP FROM A DISTANCE:
We appreciate the many people who offer to volunteer from afar. Here are a few ways you can help:
- Inspire people you know to help the Elders. Our sponsors have worked with local clubs, churches and social groups to raise funds for our projects. For example, you might host a breakfast for friends to encourage them to donate to the Oatmeal program. We will provide you with brochures and the other handouts you need to inspire others to support a project that inspires you.
- Give a presentation in your community to promote awareness of the Elders' needs. We will provide you a powerpoint presentation to facilitate your talk and brochures to help audience members make donations in support of the program.
- Sponsor a small rug show in your area.
If you would like to help us in any of these, or other, ways please call 801-474-0535 or email.